Fossil Ridge Recognized as a Model PLC School
Fossil Ridge Intermediate School was recently named a model Professional Learning Community school by Solution Tree and All Things PLC. The school earned this recognition through effective implementation of Professional Learning Community practices which have resulted in increased student learning and achievement over the past three years. Fossil Ridge is one of only 5 schools in the state of Utah to receive this tremendous recognition. Please "click" the AllThingsPLC link to the right to find out more about how we achieved this great honor! --->
<------------CLICK THE LOGO TO WATCH THE VIDEO. Congratulations to FOSSIL RIDGE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL for being selected as a 2013 NASSP Breakthrough School. This is a prestigious national honor that very few schools across the nation receive. According to the NASSP, "The goal of the Breakthrough School project is to identify, recognize, and showcase middle level and high schools that serve large numbers of students living in poverty and are high achieving or dramatically improving student achievement." With a clear focus on high-levels of learning for all students, our school will serve as an exemplary school for schools across the nation to model their culture, structures, and processes after. Fossil Ridge will be featured in a national educational publication and will be honored in Washington DC in March of 2013. Congratulations to the students, staff, and school community for receiving this prestigious national honor.
2012 Excellence in Teaching
Congratulations to Mrs. Kristin Snow, a 6th grade science teacher at Fossil Ridge, for being selected to receive a 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award sponsored by the UEA and the Arch Coal Foundation. Mrs. Snow will be honored later this month in Salt Lake City at an awards banquet recognizing the award recipients.
Congratulations to Jeannie Fernandez, our librarian at Fossil Ridge, for being selected as the 2012-2013 Librarian of the year in the state of Utah!
Our Commitment to Student Learning
- Student learning is the focus of Fossil Ridge Intermediate School. This includes Utah State Standards, core academics, co-curricular activities, and various other skills including personal responsibility, respect, exploration, and leadership.
- Students who are demonstrating competency in these areas identified by assessment, frequent monitoring, and good choices will be provided with the opportunity to select additional learning opportunities during the school week.
- Students who require extra assistance in meeting identified standards will be provided extra time during the week for immediate, specific intervention.
Student Requirements and Information
- Students will be required to carry their Student Planner with them for the duration of the school day. This planner will be utilized extensively for the development and progression toward academic goals and for the monitoring of student performance.
- Student Planners are divided up by week with their academic classes listed daily. If the student requires extra time or assistance in meeting a specific standard or criteria, the student will receive a 'STAMP' in their planner for that particular class.
- Students who have not received a 'STAMP' for that particular week will be afforded the CHOICE of a variety of classes designed to provide additional learning opportunities. CLICK HERE FOR "REALTIME" SCHEDULE
- Students with 'STAMPS' in their planner will be REQUIRED to attend a specific intervention class during REAL Time (35 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday) designed to provide additional time and assistance in academic areas.
- Lost planners will be replaced at a cost of $5.00. Because of the importance of the planner in monitoring student progress, students found without their binder will be required to attend 'Lunchtime Learning' during the lunch period.